Friday, August 19, 2011

Shopping Stories

SHOPPING WITH MOM

Today a typical shopping incident occurred, which has been happening for as long as my sister and I can recall. When my mom likes something in a store, she HAS to buy it for us. This is how a typical conversation goes:

- Look Carolina/Olivia, this sweater/pair of shoes/blouse is so classy and nice.
- Hmm I don’t know, I don’t like it that much...
- Well, how can you say that if you haven’t tried it, huh? Try it on!
- No Mom, it’s just not my style, I don’t want to…
- Come on, won’t you do your mother this small little favour? It’ll take only two minutes. Just to see what it looks like!
- Mmm okay Mom, but I don’t want it…
- No, just to see what it looks like [pushes us into the dressing room]
[We try it on, and it looks bad]
- See Mom, it doesn’t fit, I look fat and the colours are horrible.
- Wow, what a lady! It looks SO good! But SO SO good…You can’t imagine how good you look, really.
- Well, I’d rather not.
- It would go amazingly well with your black pants. It makes you slimmer. Ok, we’ll take it! It’s only half price!
- MOM, I will NEVER use this, I don’t want it!
- You will one day.
- Mom, it will stay in the closet forever and no one will ever wear it, I don’t like it!!
- Well, if you don’t wear it, I will.
- Mom you always say that, it’s not even your size.
- Well, your sister can use it then.
- Mom, pleaseeee...
- Try it at home, and if you don't like it we can always return it.

[We buy the sweater/pair of shoes/blouse]

THE END

Epilogue: The sweater/pair of shoes/blouse follows one of two fates: a) collects dust in the closet because it really is ugly, or b) we have a revelation and finally see what our mom saw in the first place, so we wear it (“I told you so, Carolina/Olivia”).



SHOPPING WITH MY SISTER

The other day we went to this nice little shop of underwear and swimsuits here in Cremona, one of the typical shops on the main pedestrian street. The owner is an old lady with bleached blond hair and a tan (the characteristic tan of old ladies that can’t hold their sun exposure). My sister got some stuff and this is what happened:

- Great, this will suit you very well. So yes, it’ll be 30 Euros…Great, sign here... here is your receipt… my copy, and here is your card back.
- Thank you.
- AND, before you go, let me give you this nice little booklet with the upcoming fall collection, so that you have a look [takes booklet from a pile and places in bag]
- Mmmm… When exactly will the new collection arrive?
- [Looking surprised at the question] I believe around September…
- Hmm yeah well, we’re not here in September, so you can take the booklet back.



SHOPPING WITH DAD

Last Christmas we were in Vancouver and after Boxing Day found sales and discounts on top of sales and discounts. While we usually drag my dad to the mall and shop while he reads one of his papers at the nearest cafĂ©, this time he came into United Colors of Benetton and found a hat that costed about $1.68 dollars. This was the price on the sticker at the top of a pile of stickers of ascending prices. Basically the first sticker said ~$40, so my dad was SO proud of this purchase and he went around telling everyone what a deal his one dollar hat was. It’s a really cute hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment