Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Last week in Santiago

July 20th, 2011

My last week in Santiago was a lot of fun! Everything about Santiago (where I worked, lived, people I hung out with) was very different to Concepción. Hehe for instance, I find that I was way more productive in my El Golf cubicle than in the office in Cocepción. I stayed working late many nights to finish the project, and Carolina visited Santiago one day. We went to the bar The Clinic and I had the best wine I’ve ever tried called borgoña (wine + sugar + strawberries, very yummy). With Carola things couldn’t have been better. We worked together really hard, and she’s an admirable person with a fantastic sense of humour so we got along just great!

Going to the desert alone = amazing last week in Santiago
This is because I met a bunch of people with which I hung out this week back in Santiago. With Tom, the French Sandboarder, and Paige, the Harvard Vancouverite, we had sushi, watched the Argentina-Uruguay football match, went to The Clinic (hmm do we see a pattern here), and then went dancing to a bar called Constitución. It was really fun and they didn’t know each other before this, I was the connecting point and I met both of them in San Pedro.

At the disco Constitución, we started in the centre, with a good amount of dancing space. As the night progressed we were surrounded and cornered by an army of kissing couples holding lit cigarettes while making out. We were encircled, with the couples surrounding us and pushing us around, dancing between us too. Some cigarette burns, annoyed looks and firm positioning later, we regained our territory.

The last night I went out with Andrea and her boyfriend Felipe to Gran Central, where we got a waiter that was socially awkward, he wouldn’t look at us in the eyes. I must say socially awkward people are exhausting.

The following day I ran around looking for exchange houses to get my chilean pesos from my salary changed into dollars. Of course I had waited for the last day to get presents, so I went to Santa Lucía market and bought alpaca sweaters and other presents. That day, I also heard about Amy Winehouse's death while I was eating rice and writing 22 postcards (yes, my hand did hurt after so much writing. And yes, they were all different.) I then spent my last few hours in Santiago packing my bags with my Spanish friends, Nuri and Xabi, which I met in San Pedro too! It was so great to form meaningful connections with really cool people :)




No comments:

Post a Comment