Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm on a plane right now

I’m on a plane right now, sitting next to a sleeping guy that smells of cheap aftershave and keeps coming closer to me as his head leans to the side in his sleep... No, I don’t have Internet here, but I’m writing in a Word document and will copypaste this later. I’m on my way to Mexico City (woot woot!) to do the same thing as last year with Student Recruitment. Together with an International Recruiter and Advisor and another Mexican student from UBC Okanagan, we’ll have an informal presentation and Q&A session with prospective students and their families. But this is a more targeted recruitment, you may say, than going to high schools or university fairs, as these students have already applied to UBC and are waiting to be accepted, or they have been accepted and are going to make a decision soon, or have made a decision and want to get excited about their future university. This will be on Saturday so I’m flying Thursday night to have the Friday to hang out at home.

I’m feeling pretty comfortable: I decided to dress normally with tight jeans, boots, blazer and nice coat, when usually it’s like, ok I’m going to the airport, I’m going to be moving and carrying stuff, so I’ll wear ‘comfy’ clothes like sweatpants, a hoodie, and sneakers, oh and I will wear glasses instead of contacts and tie my unwashed hair into a bun… NO. This, ladies and gentlemen, is not the way to fly. If you’re hoping not to meet someone you know at the airport because you’re feeling self-conscious of how you look, then you’re not comfortable.

Anyway. Yesterday I was told I will be GOING TO SINGAPORE ON EXCHANGE NEXT YEAR! Well well isn’t that great. More about the Singapore thing in the next post. Right now on the plane I’m trying to make a life-changing decision for my summer right now and deciding whether I should accept an amazing job in Chile, accept an awesome internship in Germany, or go to Indonesia to film an incredible nature documentary. Here are the options:

1. Borneo, Indonesia
5 months, from June to November
PROS
·      The project is AMAZING and really epitomizes everything I wanted to experience when getting into the conservation field (this is exactly what I say in my video!) The winners will be part of a team of 10 young people that will be restoring a full forest ecosystem, save thousands of orangutans and work with renowned conservationist Dr. Willie Smitts! It’s really hands-on conservation work in South East Asia.
HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS TO VOTE, BY THE WAY!!
1. VOTE here http://gg.tigweb.org/tig/deforestaction/judge/ Sign up with new account (takes 30 seconds) or use your facebook account. VOTE! I'm the one with the 3D glasses (~5th row bottom-up) 
2. VIEW&RATE! here http://gg.tigweb.org/tig/deforestaction/48895/ by clicking on the 5 stars
·      This will be filmed and converted into a TV series and 3D action movie documentary by Virgo Productions and National Geographic Entertainment. These will be directed by Cathy Henkel and filmed by the same person that shot Wolverine, Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge.
·      Viewed all over the world! The movie is meant to raise awareness, and the 10 young people will be telling youth around the world how the project is coming along. Really exciting stuff!!!
·      Would count as Co-op!!
CONS
·      This option is not certain. The 10 selected candidates will be chosen based on votes, views, ratings and media attention. I currently have the 2nd most views and ratings, so I’m doing pretty good considering they will pick 10. Voting closes March 18th, but I’m not sure if they’ll pick the 10 then or if there are other stages to come. I need to make a decision for the Chile option by the 18th
·      There is not much information available, as the project is being created as participants keep applying. I don’t know what the terms and conditions are.
·      I will be going on exchange to Singapore next year, so I could go to Borneo when I’m there and volunteer at an orangutan sanctuary (although I wouldn’t be filming an amazing documentary).

2. Santiago, Chile (co-op)
3 months, from May to August
PROS
·      The job sounds quite awesome: coming up with a strategic plan for one of largest forest products companies in the world to give value to the assets the company holds in its 500 000 ha of conservation forests in Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Brazil in order to increase public awareness of the company's efforts in conservation and sustainability, and therefore increase the value of the company’s shares.
·      All expenses paid: airfare to and from Vancouver, trips in Chile to and from conservation forests, furnished apartment, meals in the company’s canteen.
·      I will finally visit South America, and Santiago looks awesome.
·      I don’t know if I will have this job opportunity next year.
CONS
·      Net salary. Not as much as you'd make in a Forestry job in BC, but still something!
·      Fear. This opportunity sounds really exciting, but challenging at the same time, and sounds like I will be in charge of my own project and will have a lot of responsibility (this is good I guess, but kind of frightening!)
·      I don’t know what a typical day will be like, or if there are other students in the office, or young people around.

3. Düsseldorf, Germany (co-op)
2.5 months, from mid-August to June
PROS:
·      Research internship assisting PhD student in molecular biology work related to peroxisomes in plants. Sounds super interesting and I love lab work!
·      I’d gain lab skills and I’d really experience all aspects of a research project. I will create connections in Germany if I ever want to go back there.
·      Benefits: 1625 euros stipend for the duration of the internship, which will cover living expenses. 150 euro three day rail pass to travel in Germany (so I’m assuming there will be opportunity to move around Germany and other countries). 3 day trip to Heidelberg where all the interns all over Germany will meet.
·      Will be able to see my family, as they will be in Italy.
·      Will become fluent in German (I hope!) and practice what I’ve been learning these past 2 terms.
·      Düsseldorf looks amazing, and there are a lot of students there.
·      The lab team consists of 25 researchers and students, so this is bound to be a fun summer.
CONS
·      I already know Europe, although never been to Germany.
·      Europe is expensive.
·      I can apply to the RISE internships again next summer (although the knowledge I’ve gained in my 2 terms of German will probably be gone by then)

I need to accept/reject the Germany thing tomorrow Friday. So right now it’s either Germany or Chile/Borneo. If I choose Chile/Borneo, by the 18th I have to pick if I want Chile or Borneo, and I probably won’t know by then the outcome of the Borneo competition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment