Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Coolest iPhone Apps

I became obsessed with two things during exam period (great, just great): How I Met Your Mother (what up) and iPhone applications... Most of them are free so there was nothing standing between them and me... Here is a list of my favourite apps:


To procrastinate & just for fun

STUMBLEUPON
Discover the best of the web, recommended just for you! You can find the coolest things online using this app. It's great when you have nothing to do and you just want to browse the web to find interesting things.

IDAFT
You can play around to make your own combinations of that voice saying things like call it, find it, unlock it, technologic, update it, print it, rename it.

EMOJI
After you download this, you can go to Settings> General> Keyboard> International Keyboard> Add New Keyboard and then you can add emojis in your texts anywhere in your iPhone to better express your emotions with elephants and flowers! No one will see them unless they have an iPhone, though. It's kind of annoying when people overuse them. Very annoying.



MOUTH OFF
You get a bunch of monster mouths to choose from, and then you put the iPhone in front of your mouth and speak. The mouths move, it's very funny.

MOLECULES
For those science geeks! This app lets you move molecules around, really good for visualizing abstract chemistry concept.s



SITUATIONIST
I got this because it's from the creators of This book will change your life, a super fun book that cracks me up. It's to create extremely uncomfortable situations between two people that have this app. You get Push notifications when another person with Situationist is around you, and you get the picture they uploaded of themselves so that you can recognize them. You also get a message with instructions of what to do. They include stuff like "Wave at me like a long-lost friend", "Ask me for my autograph", and "Help me rouse everyone around us into revolutionary fervour and storm the nearest TV station".

YEARBOOK YOURSELF
There are tons of apps for pasting your face on different bodies. This is just one I really like.






To communicate

WHATSAPP
Allows you to message other iPhone AND Blackberry users that have WhatsApp installed. You can send pictures and a map with your location which is pretty cool! It's pretty popular, especially among iPhone users, but it costs $1 so not everyone has it. You need an internet connection to use it.

VIBER
This one is a free app and you can message and CALL other Viber users for free. 



FACEBOOK
You can set the settings to get Push notifications every time you get a FB notification. Great for uploading pictures on the move.


SKYPE
Skype is the new MSN Messenger. And the new telephone. So having it as an app is very useful to communicate with everyone on the go. You can make calls with Wi-fi and with 3G as well.



To do stuff with pictures

PHOTOTROPEDELIC
This app is to create cartoon-like pictures with stars and nice colours. There are tons of settings you can change to get the pictures exactly as you want them. Here is a picture of the original and the Photo Tropedelic version.

DYNAMIC LIGHT
This app is great for making your pictures more powerful, especially really dark pictures. Especially good for landscapes and pictures of clouds, but not to be used for people. Below is a before and after set of pics.


TINY PLANETS
This app is fantastic. It's to turn landscapes into tiny planets! The first example below is not great but I love the colours. The second is four different tiny planets merged together into a piece called Acceleration.


THUMBA
This is pretty simple, but just to make corrections like saturation, exposure and brightness. Useful to edit pictures here before using other apps.

PANORAMA
One of my favourite apps! It's to make panoramic pictures. You take up to five pictures one and then Panorama merges them together.

360
This one is for taking panoramic pictures too. It's not like Panorama where you take a bunch of pictures, but instead you just move the camera around really slowly, like a video, and the app creates the picture.

PERCOLATOR
For converting your pictures into dot images! Below if a picture of a fruit stand with a girl eating a watermelon in the background.

DIPTIC
With this app you can create different compositions with your pictures. You need to pay for it, and there is another app that does the same for free but I forget what it is called...



COLOR EFFECTS
I love this free app! You can make pictures into B&W and colour only the sections you want, either with the original colour or different colours. All of this using your fingers. The only problem I've had is that images loose quality.


PHOTO DAILY
Nice filters.
CAMERA BAG
Many interesting filters to apply to your pictures.






LIVEFX
This app is for effects similar to the PhotoBooth effects of Macs. You need to take the pictures directly with this app though.

PHOTOMESS
Allows you to create collages with your pictures. On a "cork" background.




PHOTOHYPE
For rotating and straightening pictures. Really simple app but useful for those annoyingly crooked pictures.



TILT SHIFT GEN
For focusing on particular areas in a picture and making the rest blurry. You can get some really really nice shots with this. The only problem is that with the free version you need to take the pictures directly with the app.
To share your life

INSTAGRAM
I had never heard of Instragram, but this is not just a normal app. When I got it, it was like opening a door to this close-knit community of IGers. They are super intense about the whole thing, and there are even IG meet-ups and stuff like that. You basically upload pictures and you can use many cool filters, and then people like your pictures and leave comments (with an over use of emojis). You can follow people and people can follow you to get your pictures on their feeds (my name is ladylaser, if you want to check out my feed). If you get a lot of likes for the number of followers you have in a short period of time, you make it to the Popular page. And then more people see you pictures and follow you. That's the ultimate goal most IGers have, to make it to the Popular page. I had this really cool experience where this lady loved one of my pictures of a cherry blossom and she made a painting of the photo! You should totally get this app, at least for the filters, or to make friends too.



TWITTER
I've recently discovered Twitter and that's thanks to this app, which makes it super easy to follow people or organizations you're interested in.


QIK VIDEO
You can video chat and share videos with friends that have Qik. You need to record the videos directly from the app though, and to upload from Camera Roll you need to get the paid version.

FLICKIT
If you use Flickr for your pictures, you probably know how annoying the Flickr app is. This one makes picture uploading super easy!


TUMBLR
Great for posting and reblogging on the go to your Tumblr blog! I use this blog mostly for reblogging pictures, but this app is great especially if you post your own pictures.



To listen to music

TUNE IN RADIO
AMAZING radio app, allows you to listen to pretty much every radio station in the world. I've tried tons of radio apps and this one is by far the best. You get all the stations, the program names, and you can even re-listen to the songs.

REMOTE
With this app, you can control your iTunes without leaving the couch! You need an internet connection. I've never actually had a situation where I was listening to music without being right next to my computer, but hey if that ever happened I would have this app to control the music.

SHAZAM
This is to solve that annoying situation when you hear the best song ever but you're never able to find out what that song was. You record part of the song for like five seconds and then Shazam tells you which song it is. You need internet (but you can also record and then save for when you have internet) and the free version allows you to identify five songs a month.

DEEZER
Used to be my favourite website to listen to music online (until they changed it and put restrictions on the songs you could listen to), but Deezer radio is awesome for discovering new music!

RANDOMRADIO
It shows you random radios from around the world. I used to really like it, but you need to pay for it so if you want a free radio just get Tune In Radio.


LADIDA
This is a really fun app for creating songs! You record yourself singing and then pick a beat and a style and the app creates a song modifying your voice and changing the tones so that you sound better. 

SNOWTAPE
This is for recording songs off the radio. You just hit record and then you can go back and listen to them as many times as you want.





To be productive 

DROPBOX
I love Dropbox. Dropbox is like having an online USB. Get an account using this link (then you'll get 2GB of space PLUS 250MB because I invited you!) and then download Dropbox to your computer. It just becomes like any other folder where you can store stuff, except for the fact that you can access that folder wherever you are using you Dropbox account. The Dropbox app allows you to access it too and look at your pictures, PDFs and other documents. I have a shared folder with my sister and I just upload the pics from my iPhone and she can get them from the folder.

CAMSCANNER
This saved my life when I had to send class notes. My scanner was super annoying and the contrast between the words and the page just sucked, especially if you used blue pen. Camscanner is great, you just take a picture of your notes and the app does magic with the contrast! Really nice. You can email it out as pictures or PDFs super easily too.

IBOOK
I love free stuff, and man there are so many free books you can get here! It's a bit hard with an iPhone because of the scree size, but while I get an iPad (yep, so I made up my mind. In Singapore I will get an iPad, seeing as to how I didn't succeed in winning one) the iPhone does a good job.

BUMP
Allows you to share information with other iPhones when you bump them together!


AUTOCAD WS
Great for architecture students and for anyone interested in experimenting with a simpler version of the computer Autocad.

APZILLA
The free version has 16 apps, including Clinometer, Dice and Passwords. If you upgrade you get 100+ apps.



GOOGLE
Quick access to all the Google apps, including Picasa, Gmail, Google Docs, Google Earth, Google Maps and Translate.





To find your way

NEARME
You need internet to use this, but it's really useful for finding places near you. I used it a lot in Vancouver.

VEGMAN
Allows you to find veggie restaurants near you! In Vancouver you get TONS. In Chile, not so much.. The closest one I found was 1,342 km away in Buenos Aires, Argentina.


UBC
For UBC community and future students! We get our own app fully equipped with event information, useful phone numbers to have, and a great option to find locations on Campus! Future students can watch videos, pictures and get more info... from here.

GEOCACHING
So I've never actually used this, but I LOVE the concept! Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunt where players search for hidden objects, called geocaches, left there by other players. I saw there is a treasure 2.8 km away from where I am so I'll go look for it next week-end.


In order to use my phone abroad, I went to this place to get it jailbroken. The Apple warranty is void for jailbroken phones, but as you update the OS iPhone version the jailbreak disappears. So I am good as long as I don't drop it in the toilet again or do something to it that won't allow me to connect it to my Mac to erase the traces of jailbrokenness. I just changed the theme, but I hear I could potentially downloading I don't know how many other apps that are not in the App Store...

No comments:

Post a Comment